OUTLINE OF THE JFE GROUP

[ Back | Next ]

JFE R&D CORPORATION

JFE R&D is a research institute responsible for further advancing the core technologies shared by our mainstay businesses of steel and engineering. It is also charged with forging new concepts within the framework of the Group's management and technology strategies, and transforming the business potentials into reality.

 THE FIRST MEDIUM-TERM BUSINESS PLAN

MAIN MEASURES
1. Promote effective research and development through the mutual development of technologies shared between the steel business and engineering business of the Group, and by formulating new concepts for systematically integrating diverse technologies (commissioned research)
2. Explore and develop elemental technologies that are likely to be needed in the future (common basic research)

 R&D SYSTEMS
FLEXIBLE ORGANIZATION WORKING ON ELEMENTAL TECHNOLOGIES
JFE R&D's efforts are not confined to existing processes or products: the entire organization is dedicated to basic research, applying flexible thinking to research and aiming to develop unique proposals that are not merely an extension of traditional research. JFE R&D employs about 80 researchers in five research divisions and laboratories specialized in mechanical engineering, instrument and control engineering, civil engineering and building technology, numerical simulation, and biotechnology and catalysis. Research commissioned by group companies makes up 70% of the company's business, while the remaining 30% is common basic research. JFE R&D's mission is to raise the level of elemental technology and to integrate it organically, boldly paving the way to the next generation of our research and development.

COORDINATING WITH JFE STEEL RESEARCH LABORATORY AND JFE ENGINEERING RESEARCH CENTER
JFE R&D, with its organization dedicated to basic research, aims to maximize synergies with steel and engineering technologies by working closely with the JFE Steel Research Laboratory and the JFE Engineering Research Center, which are responsible for the development of process and product technologies.

 R&D AIMED AT NEXT-GENERATION TECHNOLOGY
In steel technology, JFE R&D's main mission is to realize highly efficient manufacturing processes and to develop technologies that will help to raise the quality and lower the cost of our products. In concrete terms, this means the development of next-generation Only One technologies such as steel manufacturing technologies which are highly reliable and very high-speed, as well as quality-control technologies that ensure uniform, high-quality steel sheets for use in auto manufacturing. It also means advancing the development of steel materials that are used and valued in civil engineering and construction projects which form the capital stock of our society.
  In the field of engineering technology, JFE R&D is working on the development of highly competitive products and commercially viable technical solutions that go beyond what we have known in the past. Among the many examples we could name are sophisticated combustion control systems, total recycling solutions, earthquake-resistant design, new forms of bridges and unique waterfront structures, steel-concrete composite structures, biotechnology-based water treatment systems and many more.
  Another target area is dimethyl ether (DME). We are developing efficient catalytic technology for the production of this promising next-generation fuel.

 JFE Group's R&D System
JFE Group's R&D System