CORPORATE HISTORY

1896
Kawasaki Dockyard Co., Ltd., established by Shozo Kawasaki.
1939
Corporate name changed to Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.
1950
Kawasaki Steel corporation established and separated from Kawasaki Heavy Industries.
The Corporation's president was Yataro Nishiyama.
1951
Opened Chiba Works.
1953
Blast Furnace No. 1 is blown at the Chiba Works.
1961
Opened Mizushima Works.
1967
Blast Furnace No. 1 is blown at the Mizushima Works.
1974
Established Companhia Siderurgia de Tubarao in Brazil.
1976
Commenced engineering and construction operations.
1984
Commenced chemical operations.
Invested in California Steel Industries, Inc., in the United States.
1986
Embarked on the first Five-Year Plan.
1988
Determined a new corporate philosophy.
1989
Established Armco Steel Co., L.P., in the United States.
1990
Commenced large-scale integrated circuit (LSI) operations.
1991
Embarked on the second Five-Year Plan.
LSI Utsunomiya Works went on-stream.
1993
Revised the second Five-Year Plan.
1994
Commenced bridge and steel structure operations.
1995
Finished modernization at the Chiba Works.
1996
Embarked on the mid-term Management Plan
1999
Embarked on the 2nd mid-term Management Plan