Society (Executive Summary)
Occupational Health and Safety Initiatives Recruiting and Nurturing Diverse Human Resources Human Rights Community Shareholders and Investors
The mission of the JFE Group is to establish its position as a company that is essential for the sustainable development of society and to create safe, comfortable lives for people everywhere. Through our efforts to address social issues, such as investing in human capital by ensuring occupational safety and health and recruiting and nurturing diverse human resources, and by respecting human rights across the supply chain, we intend to achieve the sustainable growth of the Group and become an entity that continues to develop and provide safe, high-quality products and services based on our leading technologies.
The key measures of our Seventh Medium-term Business Plan include safety and health management, the active participation of human resources, respect for human rights throughout the supply chain, and contribution to local communities.
Ensuring the well-being and safety of our employees is the foundation of our continued existence as a company, and we are committed to creating a safe work environment by adhering to the philosophy of safety first. To achieve our top-priority goal of zero major accidents, we are bolstering our capital investments and safety education programs while utilizing multifaceted occupational employee health and safety services, including monitoring and detection, that incorporate advanced IT solutions.
In recruiting and nurturing diverse human resources, we hire diverse human resources, fostering those who serve as the backbone of our business, create workplace environments and systems for employees to fully demonstrate their abilities with a sense of fulfillment, and realize new workstyles not restricted by time or location.
With the belief that respect for human rights is foundational for business as well as a corporate social responsibility, we have been taking action to realize a society in which human rights are respected and protected. We have been conducting human rights due diligence since FY2021 in accordance with the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. In April 2023, we revised the JFE Group Human Rights Basic Policy in light of recent changes in awareness and issues related to human rights. We will continue to promote Group-wide efforts as well as seeking cooperation from all stakeholders including our supply chain to respect and protect human rights. Regarding contribution to local communities, it is important to cooperate and collaborate with society as we carry out our corporate activities globally. By actively contributing to those communities, we hope to achieve sustainable growth for both our businesses and society at large.
Targets and Results for Material Issues of Corporate Management Concerning Society (Materiality)Material Issues of Corporate Management and KPIs
- To achieve our goal of zero major accidents, particularly in terms of prioritizing safety investments (around 10 billion yen per year Group-wide) to reduce risks by making workplaces inherently safe and also promote multifaceted occupational employee health and safety services, including monitoring and detection, by harnessing advanced IT solutions.
- Proactively promote mental healthcare in addition to maintaining and improving the mental and physical health of employees and their families, by, for example, creating an environment that supports employee physical health and medical checkups for their spouses.
- Promote a new workstyle by promoting teleworking and a flexible working hour program.
- Implement a broad range of initiatives to promote diversity, such as active recruitment and development of female employees, enhanced childcare-support programs that significantly exceed statutory requirements, and training and education.
- Roll out human rights due diligence and consider initiatives to identify and address human rights risks for the JFE Holdings and major Group companies during FY2021. In FY2022, we revised the JFE Group Human Rights Basic Policy, advanced preliminary studies for the risk identification surveys of suppliers, and expanded risk identification surveys at Group companies in Japan. Starting in FY2023, we will expand the human rights risk management system for suppliers and conduct risk identification surveys at Group companies in Japan and overseas.
- Actively promote DX, including the active introduction of IoT, AI, and data science, and the application of data assets.